Skip to main content

Response To Bishop North



A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk.


https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine



1.     One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people, talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places.

2.     Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When I came back to my Deanery in 2000 to my present post, we had 10 full time stipend clergy. 17 years on, we have 6 with the same amount of buildings and more deprivation.  17 years ago we had EU and government money which today we do not have. I work with some great committed clergy in poor areas – they have not abandoned the poor. But I’m not confident that the Church as an organization has the poor as the kernel of our gospel work. 

3.      Keystone Cops and leadership. My experience is that we have middle management-ed the church to the point where it looks like any other corporation or local council. Then we bemoan the fact that no one in our churches wants to join it and lead it.

4.     Renewal. During my sabbatical in Rome, I discovered Ignatius believed and preached that those who wanted ordination must “smell like the sheep”. You cannot study in the university and not serve the poor. Well, I agree with Philip – too many people fear the smell of shit and desire the smell of coffee and freshly baked bread.

5.     2 year vacancy and children. The parish I came to 17 years ago was in interregnum for 18 months before the interviews and the same 9 years before that. Both my previous incumbents left physically and spiritually exhausted. During my 17 years of glorious reign here I have spent time in darkness and depression, but I have asked the question “why can’t we as a family thrive and not just survive in a parish like mine?” Ii have watched and listened to too many clergy colleagues sending their children to the best schools while living in places like mine. My wife and I took the decision to send both of our children to local schools – one went to the Roman Catholic school and one to a failing junior school and a poor secondary school.  Both are well rounded members of society living out their Christian faith today.

6.     For them it’s the only job they could get. Well, then, I’m in trouble. There is a phrase I have heard used, “parish of significance.” It’s used when appointing people to jobs of note. If you have not had a parish of significance you’re not going to get shortlisted. After about 10 years here, a colleague asked me if I was still in my parish. I replied yes. He said, “Blimey, Nigel. They will have no vision and no imagination on your file.” We laughed and I said I like to call it commitment. But I have come to realise in Anglican terms that I, like many, serve in a parish of insignificance.

7.     Well maintained building and carpets. One of the images I have tried to engage with recently is the Pope’s view of church. He sees it as a field hospital, a place where we engage with wounded, the hurt, the forgotten. I have a parishioner who was a medic in the army. The best compliment he has paid me was to say, “I would go to war with you” because he has and we do, but usually we do not have the staff to be a field hospital. Like many buildings across the country in parishes like mine, they are not fit for purpose. These buildings were inflicted on parishes like mine by some drug-fuelled intention to build a kingdom that seems far and faded today.

8.     Church planting. I don’t understand church planting. We are putting money behind a returning fad. We all came out of some mother church at some point. I church planted out of my 500 seater building with no heating into our church hall 15 years ago. We grew the church from 20 – 70. My diocese is planting a church 5 minutes drive from my place, with leadership, a congregation, musicians and office and large church, to support it along with money from the Diocese. In a world of choice and shareholder values, why would you come to my parish?

9.     Grenfell. I cannot comment on that situation as I have not experienced it. In every big city I have been in around the world, the poor and the rich live next to each other. My poor are two bus stops from middle class hope. I will put a second blog to show this in my context. 

10.                        Mocked and demonized Chavs. The only time I ever wrote to the Church Times was when the Church of England closed The Aston Training Scheme. It was a scheme for those exploring ordination, specifically the odd bods about whom the dioceses and ABM were unsure, the raving catholic’s, the bendy liberals, the fundy evangelicals, the ill educated. I was placed on it as I fitted into the last two categories. I wrote to The Church Times because I thought with all its faults without the Aston Training Scheme there was less chance of people like me taking their place in the Church of England.   

11.                        Investment/under- investing. Here is another one of those words that finds it root in the business section of the news paper, investment. I’m not sure Jesus invested in anything we would class today as worthwhile – he shared his life. Jesus spent his time with the poor and marginalized and took authority to task. His kingdom was about investing without return, ridiculous extravagance and undermining what we value above his father’s will.

12.                        Subsidy. I have lived with this label for all my life as a cleric, apart from my time as a curate in a large evangelical church. It’s funny how when I work with my brothers and sisters in South Africa or Mozambique, I am partnering and doing mission together, when the Anglican Church looks at my parish, I am subsidised.  


Comments

  1. Insightful; living and serving...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nigel: thoughtful, honest, real and profoundly faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make Poverty History

    Poverty, a word, A cause
    A journey with no applause
    Poverty
    So many speak, too few listen
    Pound in the tin, Conscience in pocket
    Poverty
    A cudgel taken up on my behalf
    They take my voice, Ignore my words
    Poverty
    Level the scales balance the need
    Enough for everyone No time for greed
    Poverty
    The latest dance, do you hear the rhythm?
    Do you know the rhyme?
    Poverty
    Words that explode, none of them are mine
    Poverty to History, Injustice will not confine
    Poverty
    Make poverty History’ sounds so divine
    If it sooth's your conscience, fine
    Poverty
    I should be grateful shouldn’t I?
    Not raise questions, but learn to die
    Poverty
    Sweet charity, Blind Indifference
    Do you know me, Can you see me
    Will you hear me
    Poverty.


    Adrian Wait
    2005.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brown rice Priests

    Woe to the brown rice priests
    Indifferent of so much pain
    Locked in detached materialism
    Pride and career your only gain
    Too important for pastoral care
    Moment by moment never listening
    Indifferent, disengaged and unaware
    Passing by on the other side
    Meeting after meeting distracts
    Light is coming you cannot hide
    Choosing Christ, to do Him a favour
    To assure your status wear a collar
    Chose the incrowd same norms, same Saviour
    Brown rice and career is what you follow
    Detriment of one sour apple remains
    You grasp this arrow and call it suffering
    Saltless, Your chosen career is mockery
    Treasure revealed in the brown rice you chose
    Indifferent betrayal of sheep left to wolves
    Lost in brown rice parties totally unaware
    Passing by communities of mourning
    You did not even notice, did you even care
    You reinforce opinion by selected verses
    Ignoring challenges, overlooking injustice
    Faithful servants die in silence, forgotten
    Alienated from a church you represent
    Servanthood their vocation, their prize
    Emperor’s holy words are spent
    Scattered, carelessly they lay unheeded
    From your high throne of knowledge
    Your carelessly words succeeded
    Unaware that genuine expression
    Is the true light of Scripture
    You prefer your interpretation
    Isms replace discomfort of Curum Deo
    Subtle changes to words less spoken
    Masks are worn like a cheap gown
    Feigned sincerity sewn in and loud
    Wide is ism trail, open to ambition
    Fed by companions and circle of peers
    Agenda well practised with a smile
    Bowing the knee at altar of conformity
    Careerism abides subsides reveals
    Preference your substitute for doctrine
    Vocation a term for the foolish, misguided
    Label, Categorise and dismiss them
    Woe to soft minded consumers
    Band of hypocrites wear a badge
    Sign a petition, but only for your ism
    Shopping in the free market of faith
    Invented passwords reveal your heart
    The inarticulate, the weak, know you
    They know where your treasure is hidden
    A house divided, irrelevant to the poor
    Who is in who is out, ism this and ism that
    Disengaged lost in internal struggles
    Power replaces the washbasin and towel
    Weavers of words sharpen their axe
    Protect and project their career
    Secret meetings secret associations
    All will be shouted from the rooftop
    Exposed the liars lie their lies
    Self-serving pride reveals the heresy
    Of brown rice Priests indifferent squires
    Lipservice abounds whilst plotting division
    Faith, a word scorned by faithlessness
    A Word for the poor, the weak, the other
    A Word used to distract ‘our people’
    Actor’s role secures their status
    Woe to Usurpers one and all
    Crowd of liars spinning their web
    Learn the words spin the spin
    Standing tall in feigned worship
    Sink or swim let the dance begin
    Pursuing pride in selfish agendas
    Glancing down from detached pulpits
    Bathing in self-wisdom inviting applause
    Woe to you and your feigned affection
    Neglecting the poor seeking promotion
    Filling the air with your own wisdom
    Woe to the brown rice priests
    Not seeking, nor asking, but telling
    Liberalised to a point of pointlessness
    Round and around in relative circles
    Descending into barren spirals
    Of self-delusion and soulless rhetoric
    The sheep remain unfed and thirsty
    Professionalism bought and sold
    Words spike, vex and puncture
    Scattered intentions and lying eyes
    Shallow trite methodologies
    Abandoned when passion dies
    Short-termism, conforms repels
    Reinventing to avoid the genuine
    And ‘mission shaped’ anything sells
    Words for words sake, not life
    Indifferent of so much pain
    Locked in detached materialism
    Pride and profession your only gain
    Moving in all the right cliques
    Careers of Unholy indifference
    Woe to the brown rice priests


    Adrian Wait
    140609

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well put. It seems to me that there always has been a clear dichotomy between the preaching, teaching and actions of Jesus and the preaching teaching and actions ABOUT Jesus - springing from Paul's vision and interpretation of someone he never met.


    When I worked in and with the church I often had the sense of being on the wrong side of the barricades -a disconnect with those most in need, most despised. I think that if you work within an establishment then you have to recognise that establishments -organisations - have their own way of behaving, growing career structures that are usually male and power based - the temptation of being offered the whole world.

    I think the overlap between being able to live the actions of Jesus and also work within the institution is very small, and a lonely place to stand. Monastic orders such as the Community of the Glorious Ascension in Bradford in the 80's seemed to have got it right, but that's not for everyone.

    I've a huge respect for you and Erin, Nigel. Someone(s) has to stand with the poor even if the institution is preoccupied with something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks - I found reading this spoke to my own situation and gave me encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well written article which I have to agree with you. The problem is the "Anglican church" has always been a middle class organization having come from similar background to Nigel (I was a member of his youth group 30 years ago) I moved from the inner city and grass roots of Aston Parish Church into a wider more inward looking churches in various locations around the country. I have always felt that the church that has less gives more ( time of not money) investing in the area they serve and the people. Too many parishes are fragmented and people travel sometimes 20 miles to be part of a church they think fits them. We need to be members of poorer parishes as this is where Jesus would of been. I have not been a member of a church for a while fi r these reasons. People need to come out of their cosy fluffy services and show real love live in action.

    May God bless you.

    John s

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup. The dysfuctional leadership structure is one reason I left the CofE for the ACC. You are one of the relatively few priests I look up to as an example of what christ-like ministry should be today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Nigel, for your insights. The comment I'd make is that the middle class need Jesus as much as, and arguably more than, the poor. We labour on in the leafy suburbs smelling coffee and newly baked bread working with many with hard hearts and soft feet (to use a well known quote from Jackie Pullinger). Both +Philip and you have hit on so many truths, but we are called to a context, with the partners and families God has gifted us with. Working together in partnership sharing resources from richer to poorer parishes has to be a way forward. It will not just affect the wallets of the well off, but also hopefully their hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End is nigh

If you watch old black and white TV programs it is possible to see usually a man wearing a sandwich board stating  ‘The end is nigh’ . We look back and perhaps see how misguided they were, wrong time? Wrong place?  They were people who were passionate and prepared to stand out of the crowd for their cause. Those people who tried to guide us in a different direction are now images of ridicule and sly or open laughter. So where are they today? My feeling is these sandwich board bearers of the past are now the politicians of our government yes the once ridiculed people of the 50s have become politicians of today. Don’t be daft I hear you say they are not as ill thought out as those narrow minded misguided people of the past. Well I believe so and I see them imbedded in the in out EU argument. I feel I am being guided by the conversation of fear.  Woe to us if we stay in woe woe to us if we leave. This form of argument is straight out of the 1950s our politicians today are black and white

Oh what a night SF1

Do you remember the song from I think it was The Four Seasons Oh what a night? Well for me it is the same expression for a different reason. Made it to San Francisco 10 0clock at night and chickened and got a cab to the hostel. I am in a four bed dorm with three other guy’s they also have mixed dorms but Erin said No No No. Who do you think uses the prayer Please God don’t let me fall? Mountaineers, wire walkers scaffolders, no me lying on the top bunk I am last in the room so I get a top bunk. The last time I slept on the top bunk I was 8 years old now I am like granddad in the room they are so young I am not sure whether to go to sleep or read them a story. At some point in the long night alongside the fear of falling out of bed I loos my pillow, it has fallen to its death thousands of feet below it is my only comfort apart from second hand sleeping bag. I think I am the only one in the hostel in a black two piece pair of striped pyjamas. Not sure if I will have to go and get a pair