Skip to main content

Wood for the trees


Wood for the trees
I was in a gathering where the question was asked  “name someone of spiritual strength”. The required buzz among the listeners started with their neighbours and then we were offerd the opportunity to shout out a verbal offering some names.  And so they came; Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, Dalie Lama, Desmond Tu Tu and finally The Queen. There was then a short silence.
I wanted to call this blog Pavlov’s dogs but I am aware this would seem offensive. It is not meant to be. But can we not see the wood for the trees?  Are we just conditioned to recite a list of people we have never meet to be our spiritual hero’s. Is it safe to have spiritual heroes we cannot question or hold to account or share our lives with those who are firmly located on another continent or watching us on TV?
There is the cynical situation that whatever the question is in Sunday school the answer must be Jesus.  The list above must be the adult version of Sunday school. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying they are not spiritual giants I presume they are, I have never had the privilege of meeting any of them. There is a train of thought that you should not meet you hero’s as they will or might disappoint you, it is why I have refused all offers to play with Bruce Springsteen, the dream is better that the fear of the reality. But I don’t think that is a good stand to take in spiritual growth. In the gathering mentioned above were three clergy people. All who have given a major part of their lives and their families to live in highly demanding poor communities. These three people who I believe are deeply spiritual but not it seems enough to get on the list above, can we not see the wood for the trees? 
But here is the point. It is one thing for a community not to recognise their spiritual leaders living amidst their community. But if we don’t see our clergy as spiritual people, spiritual hero’s how will we see our fellow believers as spiritual people, spiritual hero’s. Among us are follow pilgrims of faith who have given their lives to sustain local churches people of spiritual strength clergy and lay.  Or more to the point if we don’t recognise local community spiritual strength or spiritual hero’s how we will ever see ourselves on the list of usual suspects above. For at some point in growing up we need to recognise that each of us is called to be a spiritual hero, have spiritual strength in some way.        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When ...

Tokens of Trust

Tokens of Trust by Rowan Williams I have been deeply jolted to the importance of the role of trust in my life and the cost when trust has been missing. Many years ago I spent a long time at the top of a cliff roped and secured being encouraged to abseil over the edge to the bottom a number of feet below. No matter how much my highly competent friend encouraged me to trust him and the equipment, I could not. During the same period of my life it was my job to service the fire service turntable ladders, which meant climbing 100 feet to the top of them. This I did many times never without a sense of anticipation, trusting the mechanics and workmanship that had been carried out. But it is with people where trust is cashed out or held back, reaping rewards or crippling relationships. I think the book has jolted me to understand my role as a professional truster  As a stipended priest I am called to model to, and with, my community my profession of trust. As I reflect upo...

Why did we come?

Why did we come? You know the old story for people of certain age you, get to the top of the stairs and could not remember why you went up the stairs. Well here is another observation i was walking through Heathrow Terminal 5 the other day passing the oh so many shops the only one being in my price range was WH Smith . it struck me do people really get the cheapest seats on a plan and then think oh I need a bag its only £500 or that shirt will be handy its only £200? I digress, as we made our way past the many shops Ruth observes that it does not seem obvious that we are waiting for a plane. Terminal 5 happens to be a shopping centre (precinct as we used to call them) were you just happen, if you remember, to leave in a plan. In visiting 5 churches before I left for the USA I came away from almost all of them thinking and feeling, why did I go? It was like being at the top of the stairs. I write this not as accusation but observation of the church’s I visit but as an observation of my...