Skip to main content

15 years ago today

Today 15 years ago Bishop John Austin of Aston presided over my first service here at St. Mary's Church, Pype Hayes​.We, Erin and Meself had no great plans but believed God had directed or whispered to others to guide us here. Daniel and Ruth our children came willingly, well Ruth almost willingly,we sent them to the local schools. At 10 years old Ruth went to the school down the road on the estate at that time was in special measures. Daniel 13 years old went to the local Roman Catholic school. During the last 15 years we have never doubted that we are in the right placed but there have been some very dark and painful times and possibly as many joyful life giving times. Although im not sure of the balance. When I meet strangers they ask how long have I been here and I tell them, they look surprised or a well disguised disappointment. There response at times prods me to ask“have I stayed too long?” Im not sure how to answer that, I came on a 7 year licence and we thought we should not move until Ruth had finished school as she had been to a number of schools because of Gods call upon us. But 15 going on 16years! After 11 years a clergy person once said to me “Nigel they will have no vision and no imagination on your file”. My response was to say I would rather see it more like a commitment to urban mission and my people. So 15 going on 16 years I am unsure if have stayed too long, I don’t know how to measure or judge. I came to a poor insignificant parish I am still the servant of a poor insignificant parish nothing much has changed. I suppose I live in hope something of the Kingdom of God has been lived out by all of us in the parish. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When ...

Tokens of Trust

Tokens of Trust by Rowan Williams I have been deeply jolted to the importance of the role of trust in my life and the cost when trust has been missing. Many years ago I spent a long time at the top of a cliff roped and secured being encouraged to abseil over the edge to the bottom a number of feet below. No matter how much my highly competent friend encouraged me to trust him and the equipment, I could not. During the same period of my life it was my job to service the fire service turntable ladders, which meant climbing 100 feet to the top of them. This I did many times never without a sense of anticipation, trusting the mechanics and workmanship that had been carried out. But it is with people where trust is cashed out or held back, reaping rewards or crippling relationships. I think the book has jolted me to understand my role as a professional truster  As a stipended priest I am called to model to, and with, my community my profession of trust. As I reflect upo...

Why did we come?

Why did we come? You know the old story for people of certain age you, get to the top of the stairs and could not remember why you went up the stairs. Well here is another observation i was walking through Heathrow Terminal 5 the other day passing the oh so many shops the only one being in my price range was WH Smith . it struck me do people really get the cheapest seats on a plan and then think oh I need a bag its only £500 or that shirt will be handy its only £200? I digress, as we made our way past the many shops Ruth observes that it does not seem obvious that we are waiting for a plane. Terminal 5 happens to be a shopping centre (precinct as we used to call them) were you just happen, if you remember, to leave in a plan. In visiting 5 churches before I left for the USA I came away from almost all of them thinking and feeling, why did I go? It was like being at the top of the stairs. I write this not as accusation but observation of the church’s I visit but as an observation of my...