Skip to main content

Lament

This weekend has been a time of many celebrations in the Anglican Church it has been a time for candidates for the ordained ministry to make some sort of commitment before Bishop and God that is life lasting. I went through the same journey a number of years ago from deacon to priest sliding nervously but passionately into parish ministry, my commitment was also followed by a family party to celebrate!  This Sunday morning I preached on 2 Samuel 1:17 end. I thoroughly enjoyed the preparation, it is King David’s lament for Saul and Jonathan and their death on the battle field. This section of the Old Testament recognises the cosmic shift from God and people to God, King, the Kings Kingdom and Gods people. I think this new favoured one of God, David, genuinely laments for Saul and Jonathan’s death. David in his lament models to his people the passing of something and someone in death knowing new possibilities to come. So I wonder on the Sunday when people celebrate being ordained would we not be better lamenting something passing and dying. Lament   Our old lives, our ability to come and go as we wish, our careers, our network of friends, the option to choose where we shall worship. As I start my 16 year in my parish (my!)  I am more open to lament, (you won’t win many friends focussing on lamenting) more sober of the possibilities of God more aware of my own need for God to change me let alone my (my!) Church and my (my!) parish. So celebrate away my Anglican Church there will be a time of lamenting I hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When ...

Tokens of Trust

Tokens of Trust by Rowan Williams I have been deeply jolted to the importance of the role of trust in my life and the cost when trust has been missing. Many years ago I spent a long time at the top of a cliff roped and secured being encouraged to abseil over the edge to the bottom a number of feet below. No matter how much my highly competent friend encouraged me to trust him and the equipment, I could not. During the same period of my life it was my job to service the fire service turntable ladders, which meant climbing 100 feet to the top of them. This I did many times never without a sense of anticipation, trusting the mechanics and workmanship that had been carried out. But it is with people where trust is cashed out or held back, reaping rewards or crippling relationships. I think the book has jolted me to understand my role as a professional truster  As a stipended priest I am called to model to, and with, my community my profession of trust. As I reflect upo...

Why did we come?

Why did we come? You know the old story for people of certain age you, get to the top of the stairs and could not remember why you went up the stairs. Well here is another observation i was walking through Heathrow Terminal 5 the other day passing the oh so many shops the only one being in my price range was WH Smith . it struck me do people really get the cheapest seats on a plan and then think oh I need a bag its only £500 or that shirt will be handy its only £200? I digress, as we made our way past the many shops Ruth observes that it does not seem obvious that we are waiting for a plane. Terminal 5 happens to be a shopping centre (precinct as we used to call them) were you just happen, if you remember, to leave in a plan. In visiting 5 churches before I left for the USA I came away from almost all of them thinking and feeling, why did I go? It was like being at the top of the stairs. I write this not as accusation but observation of the church’s I visit but as an observation of my...