Skip to main content

About a million years ago, when I was an apprentice mechanic, a change in life happened. At the company I worked we took delivery of a new Bedford TK truck, heater and rubber floor mats optional! We climbed into and searched all over the new shiny toy, like children in a playground. Then someone asked “what’s that”? Behind the steering wheel where the speedo lived there was a large black, roundish clock. The foreman informs us in a overly smug way “it’s a tachograph”. It records everything the lorry and the driver does on a small piece of paper which is handed to the manager at the end of the working shift. At that point a driver steps into the crowd of inquisitive mechanics and apprentices and proclaims “Oh $%£* now they will know everything we do”. 

On reflection the tachograph was a clunky piece of kit that began a new way of tracking; where we are, what we are doing and what we are not doing. The tachograph was renamed the spy in the cab.It was seen very much as threat to the working driver.  Today all this is achieved in a much more sophisticated way with apps like map my ride, map my walk and even monitor how I sleep.

Yesterday we received an email telling us our treasured positions were continuing there journey to South Africa (not all some are locked away now) but here is the thing, the shipping company supply us with a tracking number and a photograph of the ship our possessions are on. I look hard at the photo and think I can see my bike! Then I think about Jesus saying “Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered”. This statement used to sound to me comforting but slightly off the wall. But now today I track my bike around the world on boat I will never see piloted by a captain I will never meet.

I am so pleased my God knows me better than even the most advanced tracking system and algorithm.  

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/657947826784285568/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When ...

Tokens of Trust

Tokens of Trust by Rowan Williams I have been deeply jolted to the importance of the role of trust in my life and the cost when trust has been missing. Many years ago I spent a long time at the top of a cliff roped and secured being encouraged to abseil over the edge to the bottom a number of feet below. No matter how much my highly competent friend encouraged me to trust him and the equipment, I could not. During the same period of my life it was my job to service the fire service turntable ladders, which meant climbing 100 feet to the top of them. This I did many times never without a sense of anticipation, trusting the mechanics and workmanship that had been carried out. But it is with people where trust is cashed out or held back, reaping rewards or crippling relationships. I think the book has jolted me to understand my role as a professional truster  As a stipended priest I am called to model to, and with, my community my profession of trust. As I reflect upo...

Why did we come?

Why did we come? You know the old story for people of certain age you, get to the top of the stairs and could not remember why you went up the stairs. Well here is another observation i was walking through Heathrow Terminal 5 the other day passing the oh so many shops the only one being in my price range was WH Smith . it struck me do people really get the cheapest seats on a plan and then think oh I need a bag its only £500 or that shirt will be handy its only £200? I digress, as we made our way past the many shops Ruth observes that it does not seem obvious that we are waiting for a plane. Terminal 5 happens to be a shopping centre (precinct as we used to call them) were you just happen, if you remember, to leave in a plan. In visiting 5 churches before I left for the USA I came away from almost all of them thinking and feeling, why did I go? It was like being at the top of the stairs. I write this not as accusation but observation of the church’s I visit but as an observation of my...