Skip to main content

Cyclone Idai

Dear All
We urgently need your prayers!
Tropical cyclone Idai has worked its way through Mozambique creating much devastation and loss of life. The city of Beria suffered terrible destruction with damage to 90% of buildings and widespread flooding. This was made worse by the loss of phone services which are only just being repaired. As we write we are receiving messages from people asking if we at Mercy Air can fly to rescue children and families from rooftops and out of trees.
At this point in time we have one helicopter in the Beira region helping people in terrible difficulties, and we are trying to mobilise our second.
PLEASE PRAY:
·         That our crew, Joel and Philip, will continue to have wisdom to know where to go.
·         That they operate at their normal high level of safety even though they will be tired.
·         That the Mozambique government will create good clear lines of communication.
·         That people at the Mercy Air base will be ready to respond with the second Helicopter and our fixed wing aircraft.
·         For safe keeping of the many people on the ground, and in the water, offering generous support to those most in need.  
·         That governments around the world will be swift and generous with their support.
·         That other commercial organisations will be swift and generous in supporting the cost of the flying (we don’t have that money). Operating costs are $1200 per hour to fly a single helicopter.
But the lives of those in Mozambique are worth far more!

It seems the BBC is not giving much coverage up until so now here is a link to CNN  https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/19/africa/cyclone-idai-mozambique-zimbabwe-intl/index.html   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When ...

Tokens of Trust

Tokens of Trust by Rowan Williams I have been deeply jolted to the importance of the role of trust in my life and the cost when trust has been missing. Many years ago I spent a long time at the top of a cliff roped and secured being encouraged to abseil over the edge to the bottom a number of feet below. No matter how much my highly competent friend encouraged me to trust him and the equipment, I could not. During the same period of my life it was my job to service the fire service turntable ladders, which meant climbing 100 feet to the top of them. This I did many times never without a sense of anticipation, trusting the mechanics and workmanship that had been carried out. But it is with people where trust is cashed out or held back, reaping rewards or crippling relationships. I think the book has jolted me to understand my role as a professional truster  As a stipended priest I am called to model to, and with, my community my profession of trust. As I reflect upo...

Why did we come?

Why did we come? You know the old story for people of certain age you, get to the top of the stairs and could not remember why you went up the stairs. Well here is another observation i was walking through Heathrow Terminal 5 the other day passing the oh so many shops the only one being in my price range was WH Smith . it struck me do people really get the cheapest seats on a plan and then think oh I need a bag its only £500 or that shirt will be handy its only £200? I digress, as we made our way past the many shops Ruth observes that it does not seem obvious that we are waiting for a plane. Terminal 5 happens to be a shopping centre (precinct as we used to call them) were you just happen, if you remember, to leave in a plan. In visiting 5 churches before I left for the USA I came away from almost all of them thinking and feeling, why did I go? It was like being at the top of the stairs. I write this not as accusation but observation of the church’s I visit but as an observation of my...