Skip to main content

Ladies ladies ladies

On another trip today to deliver food parcels here in South Africa, working with partners who know the hungry the orphans those poor on the edge. The sense of excitement has seemed to have gone out food delivery for me. Do not get me wrong I do not mean the desire to do the work the kingdom has evaporated but that initial sense of excitement of who will I meet? where am I going?  Delivering food to poor hungry people has become the norm for us. That does not mean it is of any less value perhaps the opposite. I think it means for me driving to feed the poor and hungry has become way of life at the moment, it is as normal as being hungry for some people. One of the things Jesus is recorded as saying is this “you will always have the poor”. There is such a certainty about his observation, statement, assessment and unfortunately, Jesus seems to be right even today. So to serve and care for the poor does not need excitement it needs commitment, love and a servant hart. Which in the Kingdom of God is normal life and attitude.
So here is my second observation on my ordinary feeding delivering day, ladies, ladies, ladies. Each center I have visited it is nearly always staffed by ladies, cooking, cleaning, reading scripture, praying, caring. I know there are men in the country I see them in the street I see them in the shops, I see them in church. But week after week I meet ladies of all ages at family centers showing the love of Christ.  
I asked a lady today, ‘where are all the men’? Her reply was ‘they (men) will only work for money, we do this for nothing’. I can see they the men need to support their families but what is the church modelling if only the women serve like this. I am in awe of theses ladies' serving and caring I’m not sure what the situation in South Africa would be like without theses serving ladies, worse than terrible because its terrible at the moment. Please pray for these faithful ladies' and pray for men to serve like Christ in their communities.
Thank you. thank you, Ladies     




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When ...

Tokens of Trust

Tokens of Trust by Rowan Williams I have been deeply jolted to the importance of the role of trust in my life and the cost when trust has been missing. Many years ago I spent a long time at the top of a cliff roped and secured being encouraged to abseil over the edge to the bottom a number of feet below. No matter how much my highly competent friend encouraged me to trust him and the equipment, I could not. During the same period of my life it was my job to service the fire service turntable ladders, which meant climbing 100 feet to the top of them. This I did many times never without a sense of anticipation, trusting the mechanics and workmanship that had been carried out. But it is with people where trust is cashed out or held back, reaping rewards or crippling relationships. I think the book has jolted me to understand my role as a professional truster  As a stipended priest I am called to model to, and with, my community my profession of trust. As I reflect upo...

Oh what a night SF1

Do you remember the song from I think it was The Four Seasons Oh what a night? Well for me it is the same expression for a different reason. Made it to San Francisco 10 0clock at night and chickened and got a cab to the hostel. I am in a four bed dorm with three other guy’s they also have mixed dorms but Erin said No No No. Who do you think uses the prayer Please God don’t let me fall? Mountaineers, wire walkers scaffolders, no me lying on the top bunk I am last in the room so I get a top bunk. The last time I slept on the top bunk I was 8 years old now I am like granddad in the room they are so young I am not sure whether to go to sleep or read them a story. At some point in the long night alongside the fear of falling out of bed I loos my pillow, it has fallen to its death thousands of feet below it is my only comfort apart from second hand sleeping bag. I think I am the only one in the hostel in a black two piece pair of striped pyjamas. Not sure if I will have to go and get a pair ...