Skip to main content

Retreat again!



You may remember I told of my first adventures on retreat here in South Africa, well we have just been on another retreat same place but with Erin my wife! first time ever. https://www.idwalaretreat.co.za/

It has been quite challenging here at MA for a while so some perspective was needed not so much retreat as in pull back, but charge forward into Gods presence for a concentrated time, we found a window (God given) to travel in the province.
 So once again we travelled to Belfast a little more aware of what and who I was going to, the advice we were given "it will be cold". What God whispers into your life on a retreat is not usually for public consumption, but I would like to share the structure and rhythm.

 We were hosted by Heidi and Hermann who own and run the center. Their lives and the rhythm of prayer are base around The Society of St Francis and they are both Anglicans. The day began with Eucharist at 7:30, midday prayer at 12 and evening prayer together at 6, a helpful rhythm to base our week around. We both took advantage of the offer to talk and pray with Heidi and Hermann during the week, together and independently.  One piece of advice I was given by someone wiser than myself ‘do not take too much reading material’, its all about the silence and listening to God, I was pleased I heeded the advice. Hermann took us on some wonderful and informative walks during the afternoons.

Being away did not chase the challenges way but we were both able to see, hear and experience Gods perspective on us in the challenges. Erin and I were able to talk and listen to each other, valuing our distinctive experiences and feelings.
We were and are both very grateful for our time at IDwala and the care and love we received.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When ...

Tokens of Trust

Tokens of Trust by Rowan Williams I have been deeply jolted to the importance of the role of trust in my life and the cost when trust has been missing. Many years ago I spent a long time at the top of a cliff roped and secured being encouraged to abseil over the edge to the bottom a number of feet below. No matter how much my highly competent friend encouraged me to trust him and the equipment, I could not. During the same period of my life it was my job to service the fire service turntable ladders, which meant climbing 100 feet to the top of them. This I did many times never without a sense of anticipation, trusting the mechanics and workmanship that had been carried out. But it is with people where trust is cashed out or held back, reaping rewards or crippling relationships. I think the book has jolted me to understand my role as a professional truster  As a stipended priest I am called to model to, and with, my community my profession of trust. As I reflect upo...

Why did we come?

Why did we come? You know the old story for people of certain age you, get to the top of the stairs and could not remember why you went up the stairs. Well here is another observation i was walking through Heathrow Terminal 5 the other day passing the oh so many shops the only one being in my price range was WH Smith . it struck me do people really get the cheapest seats on a plan and then think oh I need a bag its only £500 or that shirt will be handy its only £200? I digress, as we made our way past the many shops Ruth observes that it does not seem obvious that we are waiting for a plane. Terminal 5 happens to be a shopping centre (precinct as we used to call them) were you just happen, if you remember, to leave in a plan. In visiting 5 churches before I left for the USA I came away from almost all of them thinking and feeling, why did I go? It was like being at the top of the stairs. I write this not as accusation but observation of the church’s I visit but as an observation of my...