Skip to main content

moaning

Today started well, watching the sun lick the land into a new fresh colour. But as the colour fixed itself to the land a storm blew in…When I get a bit down, blue, frustrated (more could be added), I can veer towards moaning and I am at that age, so it’s a perfect storm! 
Recently I found myself singing the praises of someone who lives here in White River, not moaning but that will come. One Saturday Erin and I went to a car boot sale. Yes, we live life on the edge! It does not take me long: no magazines, no tools, no CDs. ‘I’m off for breakfast love’ and I leave Erin to it, by mutual agreement of course. ‘Yogurt, granola and fresh fruit’, seeing as you asked. 
The following week a local restaurant organised a special evening meal deal, so we and friends went along, it was a great change for us as we never go out in the evening. ‘Indian food’, seeing as you asked. 
A week later, Erin received the weekly WhatsApp information for the local independent cinema: Holds about 150 people; you buy wine on the way in; you can have pizza delivered to your seat. What’s not to like? ‘Italian with chillies’, as you asked. 
There is a theme that links these together; all the above events are organised by the same woman. So, I say to Erin later on in the weekend ‘you know if it wasn’t for Sue, we would have no social life’. This enlightenment helped me realise what we took for granted back in the UK; the wealth of possibilities that we had literally on our door step, to engage with a varied range of people and cultural activities. But before I moan a bit more, our challenges are small in comparison with our brothers and sisters in places like ASAM, YWAM Marromeu, and Pemba in Mozambique: they get dressed up to go to Shoprite, the supermarket!

Now I direct to a sobering note. I am reading Bill Bryson, ‘The World as a Stage’, about William Shakespeare. I can only listen to our family and imagine about the situation facing so many aspects of the life in the UK at the moment, fear, rebellion, uncertainty, miss direction, confusion, mourning, isolation and more. In his book Bryson informs his reader that just before the greatest writer England has produced for book and stage is able to find his position in London, a severe outbreak of plague occurred and “London's theatres were officially ordered shut, and would remain so for just under two years, with only the briefest of remissions”. (Page unknown on kindle, chapter 4). Two years! Two years! 

I want to say stop your #@$¥₩ moaning, but I have to look to the mirror first and say it to myself, ‘Nigel stop your moaning.’ To moan is to be focused on my situation. To wail, lament and cry is an activity before God, dragging before him the situation we are all in, knowing only God can make a difference. I hear much of the first and little of the second. 
I am aware how difficult it is to make good decisions now. My mental capacity is not as strong as it was, my spiritual core seems to be like bread dough on a board, soft and moveable. My need for community has shrunk to the shape of my workshop and I am disappointed in things that I so wanted to change. The capacity to be Nigel is not easy. So where do I try to anchor life?

My first hope is selfish, it is the hope I will live through this situation, and that is also part of my spiritual confession. My second hope is that God brings new life out of disorder, darkness, death and hopelessness. It’s the core of the story from Genesis to the New Testament; Creation, Joseph, Isaac. At Easter I believe God gave me Ezekiel 37  as a word for me and my organisation, hope only in God, consider the sober reality of the situation without God. My musical hero Nick Cave sings “I don’t believe in an a interventionist God, but I know that you do". And I do, believe in an a interventionist God. 
Some of it's most rich and fruitful work emerged after the theatre's two year closure, and Shakespeare was able to bring to life his new creations. 
After the darkness and hopelessness of Good Friday, the damming and painful loss experience of Easter Saturday, comes resurrection Sunday. It is not just our experiences that will shape us but where we look to, and where we place our hope.
There are some mornings when I am unsure how to carry on, there are some days when I moan too much, (that won’t change). But occasionally there are just thin moments of hope, spread too far apart, when tasting salty tears I am reminded who God is. At these rare and precious moments grace is enough.
And God intervenes. As he does. On his own terms. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End is nigh

If you watch old black and white TV programs it is possible to see usually a man wearing a sandwich board stating  ‘The end is nigh’ . We look back and perhaps see how misguided they were, wrong time? Wrong place?  They were people who were passionate and prepared to stand out of the crowd for their cause. Those people who tried to guide us in a different direction are now images of ridicule and sly or open laughter. So where are they today? My feeling is these sandwich board bearers of the past are now the politicians of our government yes the once ridiculed people of the 50s have become politicians of today. Don’t be daft I hear you say they are not as ill thought out as those narrow minded misguided people of the past. Well I believe so and I see them imbedded in the in out EU argument. I feel I am being guided by the conversation of fear.  Woe to us if we stay in woe woe to us if we leave. This form of argument is straight out of the 1950s our politicians today are black and white

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When I came back to my Deanery in 2000 to my

me

I was and still am very unsure whether to post this blog. I still may regret it. I have always understood myself as strong male working-class urban solder normally ready for the conflict of the day. I used to say to my congregation occasionally if you knew me when I was 21 you would not like me. In my youth I was one half of the union rep who would go and bang on the managers desk for what seemed at the time important and usually unjust reasons. I once remember going to my manager and he giving bad news, my response was to say ‘that’s not fair!’ His response - ‘Who told you life was fair?’ I say this as a short introduction to my character. I am not like John the Beloved, quiet and reflective (but that is changing).   I am more like Peter; impetuous, verbal, quick to promise, quick to react, but passionate for the cause. But there is a cost to being passionate and outspoken. The flip side for me is darkness and depression. Rejection of something you believe in your very cor