Skip to main content

seeking invitations


Putting down, stopping, giving back, to receive the new.

One thing I have learnt or relearnt. Not being able see the obvious way forward should not result in apathy, rejection or abandonment.

In the not seeing I have had to learn or relearn Patience, prayer and that very unfashionable perseverance.

In my new role on the team of Spiritual Directors in the Worcester Diocese I have been reading much about prayer. Anthony Bloom wrote about the need for Israel to live a new life after exiting Egypt and finding themselves in the new land. They were not good at this. Exodus 14:12  & 16.3. What they were good at was looking back yearning for the old ways.
This was a light bulb moment and I don't get many.



I felt or discerned a direction to put things down, to stop, to give things back. This would allow me to see what God would give me back (if anything). Firstly i withdrew my PTO for Birmingham Diocese, severing a 40 year relationship. Then I stopped going to my local Anglican church. Finally and most difficult, cancelled my expected trip to Mozambique where my brother Dwight was supportive and encouraging.

Then I waited and not much happened, at least as far as I could see nothing much happened. Like winter in the garden, the potential is below the surface waiting for the right time.
So in the waiting we prayed. In our waiting there was enough indicators to keep going.

I think what im learning is making space in my life for God's new work. We then began to pray for a new invitation from God to something new in my life.




Then came the invitation to pray about a possibility of going to St Mark's Pensnett. I had never heard of the place. We did offer some parameters as we are in a very different season of life, settled in our own home, children, grandchildren and age. Hopefully wiser.
I also committed to not visit the church before accepting. I just accepted the invitation, after prayer obviously. I felt if I visited I might find too many reasons not to go.
This new invitation and life will be very different to any offers we have responded too.

If you are the praying kind I would appreciate your prayers as I undertake this invitation and journey. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When ...

Tokens of Trust

Tokens of Trust by Rowan Williams I have been deeply jolted to the importance of the role of trust in my life and the cost when trust has been missing. Many years ago I spent a long time at the top of a cliff roped and secured being encouraged to abseil over the edge to the bottom a number of feet below. No matter how much my highly competent friend encouraged me to trust him and the equipment, I could not. During the same period of my life it was my job to service the fire service turntable ladders, which meant climbing 100 feet to the top of them. This I did many times never without a sense of anticipation, trusting the mechanics and workmanship that had been carried out. But it is with people where trust is cashed out or held back, reaping rewards or crippling relationships. I think the book has jolted me to understand my role as a professional truster  As a stipended priest I am called to model to, and with, my community my profession of trust. As I reflect upo...

Why did we come?

Why did we come? You know the old story for people of certain age you, get to the top of the stairs and could not remember why you went up the stairs. Well here is another observation i was walking through Heathrow Terminal 5 the other day passing the oh so many shops the only one being in my price range was WH Smith . it struck me do people really get the cheapest seats on a plan and then think oh I need a bag its only £500 or that shirt will be handy its only £200? I digress, as we made our way past the many shops Ruth observes that it does not seem obvious that we are waiting for a plane. Terminal 5 happens to be a shopping centre (precinct as we used to call them) were you just happen, if you remember, to leave in a plan. In visiting 5 churches before I left for the USA I came away from almost all of them thinking and feeling, why did I go? It was like being at the top of the stairs. I write this not as accusation but observation of the church’s I visit but as an observation of my...