Skip to main content

Miss placed Trust - Trust


We could take the front page of any newspaper and find these headlines somewhere
Gun Crime problem , Foreign troops occupy our land, People desperate to know the future seek guidance from horoscopes and fortune tellers, Banks on the edge of collapse, payday money lenders in high interest rate rates row.
Like a high calorie sandwich The reading from Isaiah has four fillings
1.       Full of superstition  v6
2.       Full of silver and gold v7
3.       Full of horses and chariots  v7
4.       Full of idols v8
This is a political, religious, financial and sociological appraisal of a people in trouble. 
So I am with Desmond TuTu  when he say He once said,
“Those who say that politics and religion should not mix do not read the same
Bible as I do.”

For at the heart of the issue for Isaiah is one of trust.
The people no longer trusted God or the prophets so they went calling on those who would tell them what they wanted to hear. It always easier to listen to someone telling you something you would like to hear, want to know, rather than the truth or what you need to know. How good I am is easier to listen to than did you know you need to change.
So let me first talk about misplaced trust.
Misplaced Trust They put their trust in foreign armies v6 and armies of their own rather than trust in Gods promises to them and the covenant’s he made with them.
Missplaced trust in Money It is always seems better to trust our now and our future to money v7  that seem s to be there and then possibly gone the next minute but we are never sure if the money  belongs to us ort someone else.
Misplaced trust in Idols For the people who Isaiah had in his sights exchanged a relationship with God who promised them that he would be there God and they would be their people.  Here and now just seems plain daft. To trade the real thing for something fleeting wooden unable to bring life to people and communities to trust a wooden idol


The headlines above could be the headlines of today.
Communities today that collude with laws and gunmen that kill our children misplace their trust in cold steel and bullets. They choose not to trust each other  opting for gun, power and individual freedom over community service and relationships between neighbour. Misplaced trust
Banks that will not work with or trust poor communities to provide finances to lone parents and poor families. Allowing others to move into the space in our communities that offer high interest rates of debt that will and is choking families. Banks and government would rather trust algorithms and bonus driven traders that would deceive us in thinking there is much money in the land but for who? Misplaced trust
We are a people so driven by consumerism to buy and to spend is the purpose of life what we own becomes our idol our god. Trust anything with a USB plug on it with a brand or logo that we are sure will be out of date in season. Misplaced trust in branding and add filled fleeting dreams.
We are a people so desperate for direction and hope for the future we will seek direction in anything from horoscopes to clairvoyants. Prostituted trust. 
We in our own time have seen trust mishandled by police armies’ politicians and church.  That does not mean we abandon the opportunity to trust again.
Many of us will have experienced misplaced or broken trust in relationships that till this day hurt us and sting like an open sore. But that should not mean that should be our framework for life to come today tomorrow.
This child Jesus who came to Mary born out of obedience, miracle and trust in God.
Place by John in his gospel as cosmic event the light he speaks of is the light of a different way of living to the one on offer then and now.  God the Father trusting his only Son to a badly organised family unit, trusted into the arms of an ill prepared mother, trusted to a community with poor hospitality, trusted to a country under occupation fleeing to a foreign land, trust, trust, trust far too much trust for God you would think .    
Jesus came to be worshiped and trusted. Jesus came to speak to authority that could not be trusted. Jesus came under occupation to show how to live with money guns and oppression to offer alternative to misplaced trust. Jesus came to shine a light on those idols and gods that mean so much to us.
 If you have trusted Jesus in the past you might know how rewarding and difficult that can be. It is possible the New Year will offer new opportunities to identify misplaced trust in our lives and our church community. It is possible the New Year will offer news ways of trusting our now and our future to a life shaped by Jesus.
Since delivering this Christmas day sermon I have been encouraged  to reflect on how I can trust to a life shaped by Jesus in the new year . will we do this together?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When I came back to my Deanery in 2000 to my

The End is nigh

If you watch old black and white TV programs it is possible to see usually a man wearing a sandwich board stating  ‘The end is nigh’ . We look back and perhaps see how misguided they were, wrong time? Wrong place?  They were people who were passionate and prepared to stand out of the crowd for their cause. Those people who tried to guide us in a different direction are now images of ridicule and sly or open laughter. So where are they today? My feeling is these sandwich board bearers of the past are now the politicians of our government yes the once ridiculed people of the 50s have become politicians of today. Don’t be daft I hear you say they are not as ill thought out as those narrow minded misguided people of the past. Well I believe so and I see them imbedded in the in out EU argument. I feel I am being guided by the conversation of fear.  Woe to us if we stay in woe woe to us if we leave. This form of argument is straight out of the 1950s our politicians today are black and white

me

I was and still am very unsure whether to post this blog. I still may regret it. I have always understood myself as strong male working-class urban solder normally ready for the conflict of the day. I used to say to my congregation occasionally if you knew me when I was 21 you would not like me. In my youth I was one half of the union rep who would go and bang on the managers desk for what seemed at the time important and usually unjust reasons. I once remember going to my manager and he giving bad news, my response was to say ‘that’s not fair!’ His response - ‘Who told you life was fair?’ I say this as a short introduction to my character. I am not like John the Beloved, quiet and reflective (but that is changing).   I am more like Peter; impetuous, verbal, quick to promise, quick to react, but passionate for the cause. But there is a cost to being passionate and outspoken. The flip side for me is darkness and depression. Rejection of something you believe in your very cor