Skip to main content

Doa and Mutarara 2019

A typical landing scene 
During May I had the privilege of flying in our helicopter with Joel to ASAM in Mozambique, and to be part of a mission outreach. We flew first to Chimoio and then on to Doa for two days, then to Mutarara for 5 days. We were a group of 5 people with various gifts and skills, plus local pastors. As two teams, every day we flew in to two remote villages where we were met by the local church.

The pastors  in the villages were people I had met at the school ASAM where they were part of the twice yearly intensive teaching program. 


It was truly amazing to meet these pastors in the own context where they live their daily lives. The pastors and students are part of a teaching program which takes them through 25 books over a number of years until they finally complete the course and graduate. 


Three students who have graduated 
Myself, Andy and Joao taught in the villages, and I was spoke about the role of prayer in our daily lives. I also presented certificates for books completed as part of graduation program. There were young pastors, older ones, men and many women. It was a great encouragement to see so many people with a desire to learn how to follow Christ more clearly and deeply. 


Students holding their certificates proudly for all to see.
On a number of occasions we were told that before this course was on offer to these people, the only other option they knew of to study their Christian faith was to go to America: an impossible dream!

Orphans receiving gifts 
There were also two orphan programs running at the villages we visited, and each child received a sack of goods and a bucket! They loved the attention and the gifts. 


The church buildings we visited are very basic- A big difference for myself who previously had responsibility for a 'cathedral size' building
Church building with the school banner 
 One of the things that took me by surprise was the greeting and excitement each time we landed. The local pastors worked very hard to mark the landing site(s) with a flag to identify the spot for|Joel our pilot.  The result was hundreds of people, with many children, coming to see this very rare event of a helicopter landing in their remote village. 
Joao and the local pastors organizing things 
The remoteness of some of the villages is an experience that will stay with me for a long time. No shops, no electricity, no tar roads, but lots of people wanting to grow in their faith. 



At every place we visited, we received such a passionate greeting and welcome. The pastors and their churches knew that what we did together would not be possible without the helicopter, its crew, and support staff. This outreach was a great opportunity for two Christian organisations working together, pooling gifts, talents and relationships and allowed us to build something for God's Kingdom in these poor and isolated communities.
I saw a deep desire to learn 


If my memory serves me correctly this is a village school in Inhangoma where many people came to be part of the presentations and teaching.



At the end of most days one of the jobs before dinner and sleep was to refuel the helicopter for the next days work. This was only possible because the man in the picture, Jacobo, was able to transport fuel to the area we were working in. It took us 1hr 30 mins to fly to our base, but it took  Jacobo nearly two days to drive, and the same on the way home, amazing.    


Finally this was my interpreter Joao.  I learnt so much from watching and listening to him, and I am very grateful to him. I am reminded to be a disciple is to be a lifelong learner. I was certainly on a steep learning curve this week but would love to go back.


  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When I came back to my Deanery in 2000 to my

The End is nigh

If you watch old black and white TV programs it is possible to see usually a man wearing a sandwich board stating  ‘The end is nigh’ . We look back and perhaps see how misguided they were, wrong time? Wrong place?  They were people who were passionate and prepared to stand out of the crowd for their cause. Those people who tried to guide us in a different direction are now images of ridicule and sly or open laughter. So where are they today? My feeling is these sandwich board bearers of the past are now the politicians of our government yes the once ridiculed people of the 50s have become politicians of today. Don’t be daft I hear you say they are not as ill thought out as those narrow minded misguided people of the past. Well I believe so and I see them imbedded in the in out EU argument. I feel I am being guided by the conversation of fear.  Woe to us if we stay in woe woe to us if we leave. This form of argument is straight out of the 1950s our politicians today are black and white

me

I was and still am very unsure whether to post this blog. I still may regret it. I have always understood myself as strong male working-class urban solder normally ready for the conflict of the day. I used to say to my congregation occasionally if you knew me when I was 21 you would not like me. In my youth I was one half of the union rep who would go and bang on the managers desk for what seemed at the time important and usually unjust reasons. I once remember going to my manager and he giving bad news, my response was to say ‘that’s not fair!’ His response - ‘Who told you life was fair?’ I say this as a short introduction to my character. I am not like John the Beloved, quiet and reflective (but that is changing).   I am more like Peter; impetuous, verbal, quick to promise, quick to react, but passionate for the cause. But there is a cost to being passionate and outspoken. The flip side for me is darkness and depression. Rejection of something you believe in your very cor