Skip to main content

Easter Day







My own personal reflections Easter Sunday 12 April 2020

My scripture is John 20, the story of Thomas, a character I cannot lose. What does the Resurrection and this encounter have to say to individuals, families, communities, mission organizations and institutions? As I do not function as a parish priest at the moment, the question is obviously for me and my context.
We read the passage, and the Easter Story in general, as God’s mission, or act, to deal with sin. But what if we have acknowledged this redemption, and have already responded: is it just a reminder of God's actions?












I have been reading Rowan Williams book ‘Resurrection’ , and the passage I have been returning to is this: ‘every proper proclamation of the Easter gospel, pointing to a hidden and exclusive Christ with one we can never simply and unconditionally identify, represents the same challenge, the same rejection the same call to ‘adulthood’. The resurrection calls forward into a life that is genuinely new and effectively changed by grace which both displaces the ego from its central and domineering position and grounds the self more and more profoundly in the accepting love of the Father’.  P80 R Williams.

In our outward mission to our neighbours and world with God (who is already engaged in mission), our story of Easter is a story of love, redemption and sacrifice. It is an act of God that we are compelled to share with the world.  But what for us/me who know the story so well? We know the ending; we have experienced the fathers love; we are turning from our sins; what can it say to me?
This small but significant statement from Rowan ushers me back to the Easter story and invites me to look at myself. One observation I have heard many times (critically) is: ‘the church in Africa is wide but thin, wide in numbers but thin on maturity’. I think this can now be equally applied to the church in Europe also. But perhaps we are not as wide as in Africa. Rowan uses the modern language of ego that St Paul did not have but saw in his communities, he called for the Church ‘to be mature in the fullness of Christ’ Eph 4:13.
On Easter Sunday I shared with my brothers and sisters that in my struggle, and at my worst; and almost daily, they have the privilege of seeing me trying to move my ego from the center of my life. They see me and God struggling for space in my life, a bit like Jacob the wrestler. After all the world has taught me over the years I am the most important person in my life. Sometimes my ego is like a hungry bear other times it more like a whispering bird, but I’m never without it. In every organization and family we have a collection of people trying to cover up the shouting of the ego, but usually our deception is poor. We all chuckle internally at the scene played out in front of us, sometimes we are leading actors and at other times we take supporting roles. What we also watch together is our growing up. This maturing is not easy and sometimes not pretty, ask my wife and children. In my twenties I spent far too many Saturday mornings thinking ‘what the hell did I do that for’? Growing up is hard, maturity that serves outside the ego is difficult and that it is why so many don’t bother, they drop out too early.
Growing, as recorded in the Gospels, is Jesus meeting someone and helping them to see that life need not be like the one they lead. Follow me I will show you a different way. One invitation at a time, one day at a time, come follow, grow and change, change your neighborhood.
If this invitation is to individuals and families it must also apply to churches and organizations. I know this as someone who served the Anglican church for 35 years. When as a parish priest I was asked to be on the Bishops Council and Area Dean I knew that some of that fed my ego, the bear felt happy, the bird chirped smugly. The result was that I had to mature in front of my peers to the point where I was able to identify the bear and start to put it into the cage (not with the bird).  That is never an easy nor edifying journey, but to get to some sort of maturity in Christ it is required of each one of us. No chick enters to the world fully fledged it has to spend time falling over, entertaining us for a while.

I have no idea what will be required of the church after this situation we find ourselves in. But I do know what was required from the beginning. It is that the church needs to grow into maturity, the fullness St Paul asks for. The one thing I am sure of, is this is not an easy call and will not be fulfilled on the completion of a course.
At an evangelical tent meeting my granddad took me too in 1972 I was changed. I began to recognize the work of Christ on the cross. But it was only the beginning of what Rowan calls ‘genuinely new and effective change’, and boy it has been a struggle and at times embarrassing but that is the cost of any maturity.
I love the way John’s Easter story records Jesus seeking out Mary. It is Jesus who calls her name, values her. For Mary, the Fathers love begins the resurrection journey.I also love that John records Jesus behind closed doors. It is as if he says, ‘you think locked doors will hold my Fathers resurrection love from you?’ And yes, I love also that John records Jesus going to the one who doubts and questions, it is Thomas in John’s resurrection epiphany, who is given the chance to mature and does so by being the first to proclaim ‘My Lord and My God.’
So, in an action of Easter Examine Fueled Reflection: I would to thank those who have helped, and are still helping me grow up and shift the ego.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When I came back to my Deanery in 2000 to my

The End is nigh

If you watch old black and white TV programs it is possible to see usually a man wearing a sandwich board stating  ‘The end is nigh’ . We look back and perhaps see how misguided they were, wrong time? Wrong place?  They were people who were passionate and prepared to stand out of the crowd for their cause. Those people who tried to guide us in a different direction are now images of ridicule and sly or open laughter. So where are they today? My feeling is these sandwich board bearers of the past are now the politicians of our government yes the once ridiculed people of the 50s have become politicians of today. Don’t be daft I hear you say they are not as ill thought out as those narrow minded misguided people of the past. Well I believe so and I see them imbedded in the in out EU argument. I feel I am being guided by the conversation of fear.  Woe to us if we stay in woe woe to us if we leave. This form of argument is straight out of the 1950s our politicians today are black and white

Oh what a night SF1

Do you remember the song from I think it was The Four Seasons Oh what a night? Well for me it is the same expression for a different reason. Made it to San Francisco 10 0clock at night and chickened and got a cab to the hostel. I am in a four bed dorm with three other guy’s they also have mixed dorms but Erin said No No No. Who do you think uses the prayer Please God don’t let me fall? Mountaineers, wire walkers scaffolders, no me lying on the top bunk I am last in the room so I get a top bunk. The last time I slept on the top bunk I was 8 years old now I am like granddad in the room they are so young I am not sure whether to go to sleep or read them a story. At some point in the long night alongside the fear of falling out of bed I loos my pillow, it has fallen to its death thousands of feet below it is my only comfort apart from second hand sleeping bag. I think I am the only one in the hostel in a black two piece pair of striped pyjamas. Not sure if I will have to go and get a pair