Skip to main content

Paris Brown


Paris Brown

According to the press Paris Brown the newly appointed17 year old youth police and commissioner has resigned. A good job too. How can we have someone who is ill thought out, homophobic and crude working for the police? It is a disgrace she should hold such a position paid for by the community. She has let herself down by using social media, that form of communication that seems to be so helpful until we press send before we think.
One moment. I need to say I am relieved that when I applied for my job as priest of Pype Hayes my new community did not trawl through every word i have ever said.  When I went to my training incumbent I felt compelled to tell him I had done many things in my life that I was not proud of. He assured me that these events would shape my life and ministry.
Paris Brown offered herself for public service a fine thing to do. The commissioner believed in the position and possibly Paris so much she was willing to give her £5k of her own money. There are so many things we can learn from this event.
Be careful what the crowd call for they are not always right, we need not be guided by the volume of the crownd.  Where was this girls mentor; her guide, advisor and protector. As a mechanic I had many apprentices and my role was always more than nuts and bolts,many times  mentor and friend.
And finally (there could be more) where is the new start in life? I am almost in tears writing this that at 17 years of age there is no new start no sorry can I start again tomorrow? The police force should have been firm and stood by their decision to appoint Paris. If I, like Paris had been held accountable for all i had said and done at 17 without a new start where would I be today? I am a very minor priest in a very minor parish serving my community. I thank God I was given the possibility of a new start to leave the shit, shame and mistakes of my life behind, for that I am eternally grateful. I wish we could say the same for Paris.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End is nigh

If you watch old black and white TV programs it is possible to see usually a man wearing a sandwich board stating  ‘The end is nigh’ . We look back and perhaps see how misguided they were, wrong time? Wrong place?  They were people who were passionate and prepared to stand out of the crowd for their cause. Those people who tried to guide us in a different direction are now images of ridicule and sly or open laughter. So where are they today? My feeling is these sandwich board bearers of the past are now the politicians of our government yes the once ridiculed people of the 50s have become politicians of today. Don’t be daft I hear you say they are not as ill thought out as those narrow minded misguided people of the past. Well I believe so and I see them imbedded in the in out EU argument. I feel I am being guided by the conversation of fear.  Woe to us if we stay in woe woe to us if we leave. This form of argument is straight out of the 1950s our politicians today are black and white

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When I came back to my Deanery in 2000 to my

me

I was and still am very unsure whether to post this blog. I still may regret it. I have always understood myself as strong male working-class urban solder normally ready for the conflict of the day. I used to say to my congregation occasionally if you knew me when I was 21 you would not like me. In my youth I was one half of the union rep who would go and bang on the managers desk for what seemed at the time important and usually unjust reasons. I once remember going to my manager and he giving bad news, my response was to say ‘that’s not fair!’ His response - ‘Who told you life was fair?’ I say this as a short introduction to my character. I am not like John the Beloved, quiet and reflective (but that is changing).   I am more like Peter; impetuous, verbal, quick to promise, quick to react, but passionate for the cause. But there is a cost to being passionate and outspoken. The flip side for me is darkness and depression. Rejection of something you believe in your very cor