Skip to main content

Mercy Air Farm Workshop

View of the The Farm Workshop outside 
Phase One We started off with a very dark chaotic corner of a large shed. Then we ripped off part of the roof - and BEHOLD there was LIGHT! It was just as if the darkness was banished and the light brought possibility of new life. Then I had an idea that we could create a workshop...But this was not a project to be completed by just me and my team!

Phase Two Our first volunteers visitors were the family Perrren from Switzerland offering their gifts to us. 'What can we do?' they asked. I gave them a number of options on the farm and they completed more than one. But they also chose The Farm Workshop. They said they would put a concrete floor into the first quarter of the building and also a window to overlook the runway (a good God-story behind this!) They asked if I would like a '1% fall on the floor, so that the water could exit the building.' Yes please!

Barbra, Hans-Reudi , Desiree & Mike Perren, with children  
So it began... with a floor, a window and roof-light
Laying the Concrete floor
The promised Window 
Phase Three We found a local brick layer who built the internal walls.

Phase Four Erin and I bought wood for the benches, delivered on-site, and we started construction. Then along came the Americans: Craig, Chris and Scott. They asked the same question, 'What can we do for you?' They are kitchen fitters. So they constructed, fitted and varnished the workshop benches and added storage underneath. Wow! Things are looking good!
Craig, Chris & Jody
Phase Five Then I painted the workshop floor with my team.
Phase Six I get a call from John and Ruud from Holland who were looking to do work for us. (On a previous visit, before we arrived in South Africa, they had built our carport.) So I asked them ‘what are your skills?’ Computers and electrician, amazing! How would you like to put the electric into the workshop new plugs and lights? ‘Yes’ they replied, amazing. Their friends and supporters of Mercy Air raised the money for the cable, sockets and lights and I bought them ready for fitting, the day they arrived (their request!)
John & Ruud

Very Tidy Wiring
Phase Seven Over the Christmas break Erin and I fitted out the sink area with tea and coffee facilities ready for the New Year. As we moved into 2020 I had an idea; how about we paint a map of the whole farm on the wall? I get the occasional good idea and Erin executes some of them. So she devised a way of making a small map into a scale size big map. I have learnt over the years to know your strengths and more importantly know other peoples strengths.


Map of the whole farm going onto the wall 

Now we can see where the clean water comes from and goes to; how the agricultural water flows; where the septic tanks are; and eventually where the electricity supply cables are. 

Phase Eight We moved all the tools out of the old tool store into our new farm workshop

Tools to be moved from the old workshop. Thank you Hendrie!

Tools on the newly painted wall easy to find 
Phase Ten Kit out the desk and make a way of recording our work in progress 

A visual list of work to do, and completed. 

A desk to try and be organised from

Phase Eleven Will be to fit internal doors to make the shop secure and to keep the tools in.

I am sure there is more to do. Including extending the working storage area into the back of the building. If you would like to contribute financially, physically or prayerfully do get in touch.

What have I learnt from all of this?
  • I am building on what other people have done before me and trust others will follow and do something similar. 
  • We are investing in the Farm Team, teaching them new skills and learning to work together. 
  • Volunteers can make a significant difference in Africa and specifically to Mercy Air.
  • That I am humbled by the generosity of people.



Comments

  1. Love that white board! and all the ticks of completed work on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this. Well done to all. Can send parcel by courier about 35 quid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End is nigh

If you watch old black and white TV programs it is possible to see usually a man wearing a sandwich board stating  ‘The end is nigh’ . We look back and perhaps see how misguided they were, wrong time? Wrong place?  They were people who were passionate and prepared to stand out of the crowd for their cause. Those people who tried to guide us in a different direction are now images of ridicule and sly or open laughter. So where are they today? My feeling is these sandwich board bearers of the past are now the politicians of our government yes the once ridiculed people of the 50s have become politicians of today. Don’t be daft I hear you say they are not as ill thought out as those narrow minded misguided people of the past. Well I believe so and I see them imbedded in the in out EU argument. I feel I am being guided by the conversation of fear.  Woe to us if we stay in woe woe to us if we leave. This form of argument is straight out of the 1950s our politicians today are black and white

Response To Bishop North

A while back Bishop Phillip North spoke to New Wine and caused a bit of a reaction one of it was a Tweet to my millions of followers. In response I had a phone call from The Church Times asking for a quote because I serve in a poor parish, I declined and said I would put a more considered response on my blog, so here it is with a link to The Bishops full talk. https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2017/4-august/news/uk/there-s-a-future-for-the-church-if-evangelicals-put-the-poor-first-bishop-north-tells-new-wine 1.      One of the issues the church does not recognise is the exportation of people , talents and money from parishes like mine to middle class parishes which is draining and demanding on leadership. For 10 years I thought I was building a community, then it dawned on me I was building people up to go to other places. 2.      Bishop Phillip talks of abandonment of the poor: I think it’s more complicated than that. When I came back to my Deanery in 2000 to my

me

I was and still am very unsure whether to post this blog. I still may regret it. I have always understood myself as strong male working-class urban solder normally ready for the conflict of the day. I used to say to my congregation occasionally if you knew me when I was 21 you would not like me. In my youth I was one half of the union rep who would go and bang on the managers desk for what seemed at the time important and usually unjust reasons. I once remember going to my manager and he giving bad news, my response was to say ‘that’s not fair!’ His response - ‘Who told you life was fair?’ I say this as a short introduction to my character. I am not like John the Beloved, quiet and reflective (but that is changing).   I am more like Peter; impetuous, verbal, quick to promise, quick to react, but passionate for the cause. But there is a cost to being passionate and outspoken. The flip side for me is darkness and depression. Rejection of something you believe in your very cor